Friday, March 4, 2011

Fearless Females - Day Four

From The Accidental Genealogist: "Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post of photo too if you have one."

What a difference a year makes! When I blogged on this theme one year ago, I had no marriage records for either my grandparents or great-parents. Checking over my records just now, I have marriage records for all of them -- 2 sets of grandparents and 4 sets of great-grandparents.

One set of records, those for my great-grandparents, Lewis and Margaret Adams Greenleaf (the subject of last year's post) who married in Lenox, Berkshire County, Massachusetts in October 1898, were accessed and downloaded at Family Search. The others records I got by writing to various city or state agencies in New York or Pennsylvania. I have no family stories on any of them, though, and no wedding photographs, either.

So this year's story...

I have plenty of wedding photographs of my maternal grandmother's first wedding in 1942. Her husband, Rufus L. Patterson III was killed in 1944, shot down over Germany. [see Follow Friday post on World War II Casualty Lists] Rufus' mother was Elsie "Lissa" Parsons Patterson Kennedy (1901-1966) of Lenox, Massachusetts. Through this relationship with the Parsons family in Lenox, my grandmother met her second husband, Joseph Harrison Worrall (1913-1979). Lissa's younger brother, Herbert Parsons (1909-1995) married Margaret "Margot" Sharpless Worrall (1909-1986) in 1935. Margot's younger brother was Joseph Harrison Worrall, my grandfather.


This is a fairly scientific post. I wish I knew more stories, more romance, but can only guess and imagine at emotions and what happened in these peoples' lives. It's an interesting connection my family has as a result - these interconnected families with skewed generations. But this is an important baseline for other stories I have to tell. I haven't even begun to do justice to the story, to the people involved, but at least I've started laying the groundwork, finally getting it out of my head and into writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment