Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday's Child - Baby Christine

I posted for Tombstone Tuesday last week about locating the graves of my great-great grandparents, Richard McCall Cadwalader and Christine Williams Biddle. Also in this plot were graves of three of their seven sons. Two more sons, my great-grandfather and another of the uncles are nearby in the same cemetery.

The collective in my family thought surrounding this family group is that of men and "the uncles". Seven boys, of whom we collectively have a number of photographs and one large oil portrait. Thus I was especially touched to find the tiny grave of the lone baby daughter, Christine, who was just one month old at her death in April 1887.


One interesting thing I noticed about this grave was the engraving on the top of the tombstone in addition to the more standard engraving on the side -- almost as if her parents wanted to ensure her tiny stone didn't get missed by those looking from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment