Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What are your d'Aboville numbers?

I'm back after a sizable dry spell. Randy Seaver has another Saturday Night challenge that uses your genealogy software to calculate d'Aboville numbers. See his post and instructions at Genea-Musings.

To summarize, Randy asks us to calculate our own d'Aboville numbers for the lines of our four grandparents, from the earliest known ancestor.

I've calculated what I think are d'Aboville numbers. Reunion doesn't use the term (that I can find), and these are called (in Reunion-speak) 'Legal Numbers'. But the numbering scheme seems to closely match the definitions of d'Aboville numbers that Randy identified. [See Encyclopedia of Genealogy and Wikipedia] The numbers are organized by generations, using periods to separate the generations, and does not change numbering for more than nine children. What Reunion's Legal Numbering system does, that neither definition above indicated, is add lowercase letters for generations where there is more than one marriage. First marriage = a, second marriage = b, etc.

Here are mine:
  • From Stephen Greenleaf (1652-1743) - 1.2.13.11.2.2.2a.3a.1b.1
  • From Thomas Joseph McCormick (1850-1905) - 1.6.1.1b.1
  • From Peter Worrall (b.1719) - 1.1.2.1a.2.4.2.1.1
  • From John Cadwalader (1677-1734) - 1.1.4.2.4.4.1b.1.1
How I did it:
  • Numbers can be made viewable on the family cards by navigating to Reunion Preferences and adding the "numbering" field to the default view.
  • Navigate to the ancestor for whom you want to calculate the numbering scheme.
  • Under the 'Change' menu, click 'Numbering'
  • Select the 'Descendant' tab
  • Select 'Legal Numbers'
  • Confirm the source individual. If you navigate to a married couple, you can select either spouse as the source of descendant numbering.
  • Click 'Assign'
  • Numbers are now viewable on each persons card.
All four numbers are viewable on my card, in the order in which I assigned them, separated by commas. What is less clear is if there's an easy way to remember which is which, should I forget. But it's also easy enough to clear them and recalculate.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, I really enjoy reading your blog. I like it so much that I am awarding you the Ancestry Approved Award. You can go here to learn more about the award and collect your badge: http://ancestorslivehere.blogspot.com/2010/03/ancestor-badge.html.

    You can see my post here: http://gatapleytree.blogspot.com/2010/12/ancestor-approved-award.html.

    Liz
    My Tapley Tree... and its Branches

    ReplyDelete