Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Day 4 - Christmas Cards

From Geneabloggers: http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com/
"Did your family send cards? Did your family display the ones they received? Do you still send Christmas cards? Do you have any cards from your ancestors?"
It's all about photo cards in my family. My grandmother always hung the photo cards she received on a ribbon by the fireplace, and then around doorways, or in a china bowl when the prime fireplace real estate was full. My mother and her siblings have adopted similar practices.

I don't think I have any cards sent by ancestors, but what I do have are photo cards they received from other families. After Christmas, my grandmother would usually place a selection of the photo cards received in her scrapbook, labeled for the year. I have several scrapbooks with such pages in them, the earliest of which (in my possession) probably dates back to the 1950's.

Do I still send Christmas cards? Some years. This year I should, since I have good photos from summer trips that rate a photo card this year, but my procrastination seems to be getting the better of me. Maybe there's still time...

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
    and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"
    http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner
    http://www.examiner.com/x-58285-Ozarks-Cultural-Heritage-Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that your grandmother had photo cards back in the 50's. I thought they were a fairly recent phenom. I do the same with the ones we receive. I do scrapbook photo albums by year. The last pages for reserved for all the photos and photocards we get at Christmas.
    The header for these pages is 'friends and family'. It's kind of fun to look at the children of our long time friends in these albums and see them grow up.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete