Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Same Birthday as Yours?

Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings has this for this week's fun:

1) Is there a person in your genealogy database that has the same birth date that you do? If so, tell us about him or her - what do you know, and how is s/he related to you?
2) For bonus points, how did you determine this? What feature or process did you use in your software to work this problem out? I think the Calendar feature probably does it, but perhaps you have a trick to make this work outside of the calendar function.

There are no relatives in my tree who share my birthday. But I know there is at least one whose death date is my birthday. So in order to test the "Find Anything" feature in Reunion, I ran my birthday, 6 Oct, through as a death date.

Reunion has a pretty handy search feature called "Find Anything". I start with the conditions, "Death Date" "Is" "6 Oct" and get a single return, Lewis Kitchel Bridge my 4th great grandfather who died 6 Oct 1846.




My go-to feature in Reunion for finding things is "Find Anything". So given Randy's instructions, I decided to see what Reunion has in the way of a Calendar feature. I found Reunion's Calendar feature under the "List" menu and was able to select setting to retrieve all birth dates in the month of October:

Reunion returns exactly what is says it does -- a handy list of people whose birth dates are in October, including people who I know (or suspect) were born in October but for whom an exact date is not yet known:


No comments:

Post a Comment