Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Sarah Drexel Fell Van Rensselaer


Sarah Drexel Fell Van Rensselaer
1860 - 1929
St. Thomas' Cemetery
Sarah Drexel Van Rensselaer at Find A Grave

Sarah Drexel was my great-great grandmother, daughter of financier (and 3rd great grandfather) Anthony Joseph Drexel. She married first, John Ruckman Fell in 1879. After his death in 1895 she married Alexander Van Rensselaer in 1898.

I create an entry for her at Find A Grave tonight, inscribing what is on the grave stone, though I'm not entirely certain the birth date is accurate. I confess it's been some time since I've done much research on her, but have a niggling feeling the August 28 date, might not be correct, and I've yet to find evidence to support the date. I mentioned in my post on Alexander last week that I have a copy of their marriage license. However, there's no birth date on the license for her -- only her age -- 37 years.

Alexander Van Rensselaer signed the license 18 Jan 1898. If Sarah Drexel Fell was 37 years old on that date, she could have been born at almost any time in 1860. Anyway, more work to do here.

As is usually the case with these little entries, this isn't near enough information to do my ancestor justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment