Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - I Write Like...

From Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings, this week's fun is to submit a piece of writing that exemplifies the best of your work to the web site: http://iwl.me. The site will analyze your writing and return a badge to post on your blog.

I decided to analyze two things. First, I copied 4 or 5 paragraphs from my most recent blog post, American Revolutionary War Relics?, and received the following:

I write like
James Joyce

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


Next, I took 4 paragraphs from an email I'd written recently, topic being family and genealogy, and received the same result, James Joyce. I find this fairly amusing since I'm not sure I could read Joyce, so for an analytical tool to think my writing is like his is interesting.

So to see if I could get a different result, I took another blog post, Thomas and Margaret McCormick, and copied 4 paragraphs... James Joyce again.

So finally, abandoning analysis of my genealogical writing, I copied 4 paragraphs from an email to my friend Lisa -- no genealogy, just typical daily life update stuff, and got...

I write like
Margaret Mitchell

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


For Margaret Mitchell, who I have read, I feel like my life should be much more interesting than it was in the email I copied.

Anyway, it's fun to play with. My genealogy writing must have a certain pattern to it that matches Joyce in the analysis tool. I'm sure if I analyzed more blog posts, I'd eventually get someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment