Thursday, May 20, 2010

Margaret McCormick - Dare I hope, a breakthrough?

I've posted about Thomas & Margaret McCormick and my ongoing quest to claim them as my great-great-grandparents. Thus far, a lot of my evidence doesn't prove anything. Thomas & Margaret had a son, John, also the name of my great-grandfather. Newspaper articles such as my great-grandfather's obituary, match names of his siblings with names of children of Thomas & Margaret found in census records. Maddeningly, neither his obituary, nor his marriage announcement (which I found today) reference his parents at all, much less name them.

So I spent the better part of the day at the New York State Library, hoping to fill in some holes and find something to connect these people. I spent a decent amount of times with the Albany City Directories (which I love) and found this entry in the 1915 directory:

The entry for the McCormicks notes 2 key things:
(1) Margaret McCormick, widow of Thomas C., is residing at 281 Madison Ave.
(2) John S. McCormick, her son, a student, is also residing at 281 Madison Ave.

Then tonight, while noodling around Ancestry I pulled up my great-grandfather's WWI Draft Registration card:
I'm certain this is his because of the birth date, birth place (not shown) and occupation. I noticed his address listed was 281 Madison Ave., which I'd seen earlier today connected to this family. The draft card, which has no year, also mentions that he was married at the time he filled it out.

John Stoddard McCormick and Irene Gillespie were married Tuesday, Nov. 14, 1916. Their wedding announcement in the Times Union (below) mentions they'll reside on Madison Ave.


This is the most concrete connection I have so far that links John Stoddard McCormick as the son of Thomas & Margaret McCormick. I have a several vital records requests in the queue with Albany, so am still hopeful of a more definitive source, but for now this is more evidence supporting the connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment