Saturday, April 17, 2010

Thomas & Margaret McCormick

I've been working on tracing my paternal grandmother's family (among other things) -- one of my few family lines for which I had no information existing beyond what I or a handful of other family members remember.

My grandmother, Ann McCormick, was born to Irene Gillespie and John Stoddard McCormick in Albany, 1919. She had one younger brother who never married or had children (that I know of, which in this case, sadly isn't saying much). Last spring I was able to track Irene's parents and found Henry and Anna Gillespie in Albany.

I also found a family that could be John's, Thomas and Margaret McCormick, but have yet to be able prove or disprove it. There's a lot that matches -- birth places, names of siblings, but no concrete proof, and with a name as potentially generic as John McCormick, I need more.

But in the meantime, I've grown oddly attached to Thomas & Margaret McCormick and think I'll be disappointed if they turn out not to be my great-great grandparents. I found their death notices in the Albany Times Union (in 1905 and 1927) which give me nothing more concrete than siblings of John. The siblings names match those listed in John's obituary and the 1910 census record I think is his.

A few nights ago I found their tombstone pictured at Find A Grave. It's a shared tombstone in the St. Agnes Cemetery, Menands (Albany County). The dates on the stone match the death dates I have for this couple from their death notices. Linking back to comments posted at the site, I found that the interment records at St. Agnes are being indexed online by the Troy Irish Genealogy Society. Thomas' record has been indexed, so I can request the interment record for $5, which I'll do Monday. I'm not sure what more this will tell me, and feel like I'm grasping at straws, but I can't help thinking it's another step forward, even if a small one.

So today I went downtown to the Rundel Building to use the NYS Vital Records index on microfiche. I wanted to see if I could find entries for the deaths of John S. McCormick (d. 1948), Thomas C. McCormick (d. 1905) and Margaret McCormick (d. 1927). I found entries for Margaret and John, as expected, but did not find Thomas listed among the 1905 deaths, which threw me. Two more records requests, which may or may not help, but another small step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment