Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Just One Thing: Basic Chinese Sauce Recipes

From Eat Close to Home, "Just One Thing: Basic Chinese Sauce Recipes"...

I've been in a sauce slump. I love Asian food and can usually do a decent stir-fry sauce without much effort, but have been coming up empty of late. So I Googled "Chinese spicy brown sauce" and turned up this trio of basics. Thank goodness!

I made the white sauce for dinner tonight, with shredded pork and broccoli florets, but made a few adaptations. I did not make the brown sauce as I don't have molasses, and ingredient-wise was looking at the white. So I tried stepping it up a bit by using tamari for the soy sauce, a larger amount of chopped garlic, and 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, and was really pleased with the results. I'm looking forward to doing more experimenting with these sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment