Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fearless Females - Day Two


From The Accidental Genealogist: "March 2 — Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?"

Edith Judkins Collins (1884-1945), photo taken December 1885. Edith was my great-grandmother. Of the handful or two of photographs I have of my female ancestors (where th
ey are the sole subjects), I like most for various reasons, but this is one of my favorites. It is because the subject is a baby, that I love this picture more than others in my collection. I am amazed that this baby is my great-grandmother, who I never knew, and from whom I, my immediate family, and more distant cousins are all descended. This photo reminds me that we were all this young once, and reminds me that there is wonder in the future that we can't imagine. When this photograph was taken, right around her first birthday, could her parents (Joseph Harrison Collins, 1853-1887 and Rebecca Sharpless Delany, 1861-1949) have imagined their descendants living in the 21st century? Seeing my great-grandmother as a baby simply reminds me that what I'm doing as a genealogist isn't merely uncovering facts and connections forgotten, but in some cases reconstructing lives of those who came before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment