Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fearless Females - Day Twenty-Three - Jane McFarlane Stone

From The Accidental Genealogist: "Create a timeline for a female ancestor using your favorite software program or an online timeline generator such as OurTimelines. Post an image of it or link."

I like free tools. I really like good free tools, and I had fun with this one. I have no shortage a female ancestors to try this with (limited of course to those whose birth and death years I know). And I was tempted to try this with someone who died young -- to make display easier in case I had to use screenshots.
The custom timeline I created was for Jane McFarlane Stone (1793-1854). I chose Jane for one main reason -- she died in a tragic event -- the sinking of the SS Arctic off the coast of Newfoundland on 27 Sept. 1854. (see also Fearless Females Day Eleven) As she died at age 61, her timeline was quite long. I've captured only the first and last screens.
A few notes:
1. In looking at the bottom of her timeline, I was particularly struck by an event in 1848, "NY allows women to own real estate" (age 55). Her husband, Asaph, was a merchant, doing business in Boston, Philadelphia, and New York, so this seems like something that might have impacted her personally.
2. The timelines are rather US-centric. Not completely, but this particular timeline has a lot of US history, politics, expansion, invention -- those were the times. But Jane was born in Scotland, immigrating to the U.S. in 1795. [1] So while she lived most of her life here, and most of these events are probably relevant, I can see that it might not work for all ancestors.

But I can see this tool coming in handy -- mainly to give me a better idea of events happening while my ancestors were living, and what might have impacted their lives.

[1] History of the Clan Macfarlane, Macfarlan, Macfarland, Macfarlin, by Mrs. C. M. Little (1893), p. 193. Available online: http://books.google.com/books?id=tUw3AAAAMAAJ (Accessed: 23 Mar 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment