Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fearless Females - Day Six

Yes, I skipped Day Five. I've been having computer problems and now find myself a bit behind in posting for the "Fearless Females" series. For Day Five's theme, on marriage and how your parents or grandparents met, I do have a story in mind, but since telling it well will take some thought, I'm going to hold off for another time. So onto Day Six...

From The Accidental Genealogist: "Describe an
heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) ... "

I've got heirlooms -- various things my grandparents used to own. Some things they were the first owners of, others they inherited from their ancestors. But in thinking about all of these things, what would I consider worthy of description for a post? Probably the little things, the everyday items I remember them using mean the mos
t, are the things I treasure most. Like what?

The cocktail glasses. When we were going through my grandmother's house some years ago, all the everyday china and glassware was laid out on the dining room table for people to look over and take what they wanted. Because these were the everyday items, most of us already had stocked kitchens and didn't need more things. But I took the monogrammed old-fashioned glasses, most having either my grandmother or grandfather's initials. I remember these glasses, or similar ones
, throughout my childhood -- at family dinners or holiday parties. It's just a little thing, but I love having the occasional drink out of one. And I always think of them when I do. (Not to mention a single old-fashioned glass, rather than a double, is hard to find these days.)

The needlepoint. As early as I can remember, my grandmother was always doing needlepoint. Pillows, rugs, framed pieces, table tops, eye glasses cases... Each piece holds a different memory -- the summer she was working on a pa
rticularly challenging item, or the place the piece ended up living once she was finished. I have a few of her pieces, and love having them as everyday items in my home. The wall hanging of the Henley Regatta, the Social Register cover (yes, really), and the pillow. Pillows were what I remember the most, and one Christmas after my grandmother passed, my aunt Katie gave each of us one of my grandmother's pillows -- doing her best to match them to each of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment