Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fearless Females - Day Four

From The Accidental Genealogist: "Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one."

Sigh. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have marriage records or photos for weddings of my grandparents or great-grandparents. That's not to say there isn't at least one story here.

So what do I know? Well, despite having spent my childhood growing up with my maternal grandmother (and grandfather until his death when I was 8), I actually know more details about my paternal grandparents and great-grandparents as I've done more research on them. My great-grandparents, Lewis Stone Greenleaf and Margaret Adams Greenleaf were married in Lenox, Massachusetts in 1898. Four years earlier, Lewis' younger sister Alice, married Margaret's older brother, William, on Jan. 1, 1894. I'm not yet sure to what extent Lewis and Margaret knew each other prior to the wedding of their siblings. My best guess at this point, is that given what seems to be the fairly small world of Lenox society, both families were acquainted with each other, but there's more work to be done here.

Details of the wedding of Alice Greenleaf and William Adams can be found in the New York Times, Dec. 30, 1893. (Not my great-grandparents, but at least it's close -- sort of.)

No comments:

Post a Comment